A laptop for a musician is what a frying pan to a chef. You can have every fancy item to cook a super delicious recipe but if you don’t have the right frying pan, then what use will they have for you? Comparing a laptop with the cooking pan might sound a bit of an outrageous, but this is the best and most effective but metaphor we got here folks.
But choosing a good laptop for a home studio can be a real headache if you don’t know what you are looking for exactly. Are you going to produce music on the Mac or the windows? What ram capacity you should?
But if thinking about all those make you feel confused and lost, I don’t blame you for that. Alternatively, you can look here in this best laptop for home studio guide for help as we have got everything covered here for you.we also have articles about Audio Interface and top studio monitors that will go with your setup.
1. Apple MacBook 12″
Apple MacBook 12” is a perfect quality addition in the Apple family aside from being one of the very best laptops for a home studio. Why? Because this laptop is an ideal package of durability and performance for a musician with high quality 1.2 GHz Dual-core Intel Core Processor m3.
If you are looking for a laptop that is stylish as well as provides you very high configuration to work with different tracks at the same time, then this one is made just for you. It’s up to 16 GB ram is also suitable for supporting your workload in all the awesome DAWs that’s available in Mac OS.
- It has an excellent quality display for the musicians.
- It provides solid battery life for up to 10 hours.
- The speaker of this laptop is quite good.
- The keyboard is perfectly made to ensure your ideal comfort of use.
- Its overall build is quite good for the musicians who love to travel around a lot
- The laptop is priced a bit too expensive.
- Only one USB –C port.
2. New MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
The previous laptop we have featured was from Apple too, and it was quite good, but if you want a laptop with literally insane speed and high edge specification that here comes MacBook Pro. The MacBook is 16 inches in size, and it launched in the mid of last year. It is the predecessors of 2018, but the design is far better than the previous one if you are up for spending some extra money.
It is thinner as well as lighter than the rest of MacBooks. But the most impressive of all is its very advanced quality Processor and RAM which are perfect for producing excellent music. The 64gb ram and 9th generation i7 with 2.6hz processing speed can handle non stop music production whether you are in your home studio or collaborating with others.
- it is one of the fastest laptops for the home studio you will ever get out there
- It is very thin as well as lightweight as well.
- It is quite good for video editing as well, so if you are a video editor as well this is quite handy for you
- The keyboard is an improved version and responses better than previous models
- Sharp display with fantastic sound quality makes it very hard to ignore.
- The price is way too much for a struggling musician.
3.Surface Pro 6
If you are looking for the best laptop for home studio, then you have to check out the Surface Pro 6 laptop from the mighty Microsoft itself. It brings core i7 Intel processors which are 8th generation, so it’s the latest and fastest one available right now.
Also if you looking for a laptop that can last all day long, then this one got an all-day battery life with 13.5 hours of nonstop video playback. So if you are a heavy user who prefers to be with your laptop all day you can certainly go for this one.
- The battery can serve you continuously for all day, and it will have more than half of the charge left even then
- The matte- black color of this laptop makes it look trendy and slick.
- The laptop is far slimmer in shape
- The 2736x 1824 pixel display os better than the previous models.
- The keyboard is fantastic and quite comfortable to use.
- The laptop needs an extra adaptor to attach any USB-C accessories.
- To buy the new matte black colored scheme, you will have to invest some extra money.
4.Dell XPS 9370 Laptop
Another big contester in the list of the best laptop for a home studio is this amazing Dell XPS 9370 Laptop comes in a beautiful rose gold color. Dell is a quite well-known brand worldwide for its fantastic quality laptops.
It has an Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8550U Processor which is very fast and smooth for running this machine and taking care of your extensive work in popular DAWs for windows. Along with this,
it has a widescreen HD (720p) webcam, and Power button integrated fingerprint reader. So if you need to get started in music production, then it can be a good choice because it is fast, responsive with a long battery life than last up to 12 hours.
- The laptop is elegant in design.
- It has a perfect battery life and can be used non-stop.
- The processor is quite fast and the latest generation core i7
- The price is quite affordable for the entry-level musicians
- Although the ram is 8gb, you can increase it up to 32 GB later
- It lacks USB Type-A ports.
5.Surface Laptop 2
The Surface Laptop 2 is a great 2 in one laptop from Microsoft which is a quite exceptional and affordable laptop for the home studio if you are looking for an alternative to the expensive options which alternatively can be used as a Tablet as well. The new model is has a very sturdy built and the design is quite good from top to bottom. Also, it covers all the necessary features that a musician’s laptop should have.
It has an excellent power capability to provide at least 9 hours of battery life and another great thing about it is it has a nonstop video playback is up to 9 hours. If you want to experience the best of windows 10.features for music production with i5 processor powered with 8gb ram, then go for it.
- It comes with a classy black color scheme which looks very attractive.
- It can be used as a tablet as well
- The keyboard is quiet and doesn’t let you get distracted.
- The durability of the battery is impressive and up forget you going all-day
- The display is quite sharp, and it comes with a touch display
- It doesn’t have any thunderbolt three options.
6.MacBook Air (2018) – best laptop for home studio
MacBook Air 2018 is the latest addition in the amazing MacBook laptop series of Apple. It is one of the best laptop home studio as very few, or no brand can beat the performance of apple when it comes to doing stuff like music production or sound engineering as its hardware is very delicate and top-notch.
Yes, it’s expensive but it is Apple, and the processor performance is closer to the MacBook 12″ rather than the MacBook Pro. It is slick aluminum built is with a retina display that is more than enough to get you immersed the whole day in your world of music.
- The real show stealer of this laptop is the retina display which is very attractive for every tech lover.
- The MacBook Air comes in solid colors with some crisp details which are awesome.
- It provides a touch ID fingerprint reader. This one is great for the security of the laptop.
- It has a biometric sensor with the touch bar.
- The price is a bit high.
When looking for a laptop for music production, we need to purchase something that doesn’t only have higher specs but also something that will last for quite a long time as well. So among our picks of the laptops for your home studio, the Dell XPS9560 is standout.
This is a high-performance laptop, and it is guaranteed to last for many years to come. It comes with a 15-inch ultrabook. The display is quite big but even so, the laptop is very light weighted and quite handy to use. Our suggestion is you want to spend your money on a windows machine that delivers both high performance and durability
- It provides a very speedy performance
- It has an excellent IPS display, and You can go for both display versions- UHD or FHD.
- It weighs less than 2 kg and very easier to carry around
- The laptop is user-friendly, compact and one of the best laptops for a home studio.
- The GPU of this laptop throttles at a very high speed.
- It doesn’t have any Thunderbolt 3 option.
8.ASUS ROG STRIX Laptop for home studio
What do we have here? It is our very first gaming laptop on the list and let me tell you, and this machine has a beast-like performance both for gaming and music production as well. Both gamers and musicians need the perfect laptop for their work. ASUS ROG Aura laptop will live up to your expectations. It has aura RGB lighting keyboard, and it comes with four isolated hotkeys, 1.8mm key travel, as well as an anti-ghosting technology.
The laptop is a full package as it features Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor and an outstanding quality GeForce GTX 1050 4GB graphics card. But most impressive of all it the 16 GB ram which is more than enough for music production.
- It provides a high-quality port selection.
- The laptop has a sturdy build –up.
- It has a sharp quality display which is specialized with GHD features.
- the ram and the processor speed is one of the best in this price range.
- Its SSHd is frustratingly slow sometimes.
9. Razer Blade Stealth 13.3″- best laptop for home studio
The Razer Blade Stealth is an amazing laptop for your day to day work, but it is also competent as a laptop for a home studio as well. due to its high configuration and very durable built. It has a 13.3-inch long display which makes the work easier for users.
7th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U processor of Razer Blade Stealth has a moderate clock speed of 1.8GHz which is decent processing power. But good things it also provides a Turbo Boost which can speeds up to 4.0GHz if you need it. So overall It is compact, user-friendly and light weighted
- It has one of the best-looking laptop displays out there
- The laptop is so light that it weighs only 3 pounds
- The laptop has a touchscreen which is quite responsive
- The SSD is Lightning fast
- The Keyboard feels great. It is not too loud at all.
- the battery drains fast
10.HP Pavilion Power 15
Our final pick here is HP Pavilion Power 15. We all are quite well known about the quality of service HP laptops provide and it is an amazing brand. HP Pavilion 15 is an excellent edition in the HP family, and if you are looking for a laptop with a big screen to have enough screen room for all your works going on simultaneously, this new edition of HP pavilion has it all.
The ram is 16 which should be enough for any popular DAW you might be using. As this laptop is mainly aimed for the professional so this has a dual-storage capacity, so the chance of you running out of space is quite low.
- The laptop provides solid graphics performance along with amazing speed so it’s great for some video editing as well.
- It has a perfect battery life up to 11 hours and 30 minutes.
- It provides solid performance for working with any DAW.
- The dual storage system is unique
- The SSD of this laptop is bit sluggish
So this was our take at the top 10 best laptops for Home studio studios in 2020 for you folks, and we tried to keep things down to the primary criteria for choosing the best laptops here because there is no need to making you confused discussing things doesn’t matter. Because when looking for the best laptop for home studio, the basic rule is to go for at least 8gb of rams and at least 7th generation core i7 processor with good processor speed and all of the laptops featured here fulfills these criteria.